Friday, February 24, 2012

Blast From the Past

I was feeling quite down this morning, for no particular reason, but an accumulation of things that I had not been allowing myself to fully consider. I cried for the first time in quite a while, and although it felt good, I was annoyed that I couldn't seem to overcome the sadness.

Later that day, I was at work when a lady walked up to me with a very excited "Hi!" She wasn't just any lady, though, she was the mother of a very close childhood friend of mind. A friend who lived next door to me growing up and with whom I was inseparable. I have not seen or heard from any of their family in about four years, and a lot has changed for over these past four years. It was such a surreal experience to get reacquainted with a woman who was at one point a second mother to me, and who saw me as her third child, as she said. We filled each other in on the important parts of our lives, and I assured her that our family's loss has really changed us all for the better.

Afterward, in reflection, I realized something... We weren't really getting reacquainted. This was the first conversation I'd had with her as a true adult. We were no longer child and adult, we were equals. How amazing it felt to stumble upon such a wonderful blast from the past, and also to kick my sadness in the ass!

I felt so refreshed, so awake, and so alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment